[crossfire] Patches on tracker

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon May 7 23:37:55 CDT 2007

Lalo Martins wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2007 22:52:51 +0200, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>> Le samedi 05 mai 2007 23:10, Mark Wedel a écrit :
>>>   The fact that the maps are in the 'share' directory means that write
>>> access to that area is not a requirement.  Lack of write access could
>>> be for any number of reasons - permissions issues, or for some sites,
>>> something like that could be put on a read-only filesystem.
>> As a side-note, Python can write in the maps's python/ directories,
>> since Python compiles the scripts to .pyc files.
>
> Righto, but if it's unable to due to permissions, then nothing will break.

  And as I think about this more, for almost anyone that is using precompiled
binaries (rpms, debs, whatever), there is a good chance that the process/scripts
will not be able to write into the maps directory.

  This because in most all cases, the root user would install the appropriate
package, and so would have root ownership, and no write permissions.  We
strongly suggest that you do not run the server as root, but some other uid, and
as such, it would not be able to write to this area.