[crossfire] "identification" skills patch

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon May 21 23:01:58 CDT 2007

Anton Oussik wrote:
> Would making a unified identify command that calls whatever skills you
> have to try to identify things around you make sense? That way you can
> just bind 'identify once and not bother with any other binds or
> commands.

  I sort of do this right now - have one bind command do all the identification
skills - if I don't have the skill, it just prints out error messages for what
I'm missing.

  Having this be an official command wouldn't be hard, but one would perhaps
have to consider the time aspects - arguably, if you are using 10 identification
skills, that one command should take 10 times longer than if you have just one
skill.  And one could argue that identification should in most cases take longer
than it does right now.

  At some level, this level of smarts could be in the client - the client, to
some extent, knows what skills the player has (because they have exp totals for
it).  The only problem is that the client doesn't really know what the skills
are used for.