[crossfire] "identification" skills patch

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Tue May 22 04:27:53 CDT 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007 21:09:31 -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
> Lalo Martins wrote:
>> You see 3 beholders.
>> They seem healthy and aggressive.
>> Beholders usually attack with spells, and often drop beholder eyes.
>
>   That is reasonable, but to really do that, it would seem that the lore
> information should be filled in, rather than trying to figure it out
> from the monster attributes.

My thinking is that we would use the format above when there is no lore
field (or, if people really like it, in addition to it).

> To figure out what they usually drops
> requires parsing the treasure structure - not impossible, but defining
> often/rarely/etc for drop frequency gets odd.  I'm also not sure I'd
> like the output for dragons and other monsters, with a list of 20 things
> they frequently drop.

My idea is that the code would pick the item(s) most likely to be dropped
and print that; the word "often" is static.  However, I don't remember
how "dropping" works, so I'm not sure there even is a way to determine
what's most likely.

Equally, the "usually attack" actually displays what attack is stronger;
if the monster actually uses that or not, is beyond our scope to know.
(How to compare relative "strength" of spells vs. physical attacks is
something that still has to be worked out, I'll give this a thought, but
only if people generally agree this format is worth the work.  I'll
obviously also write the code, since I had the idea :-P)

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----
personal:                    http://lalo.hystericalraisins.net/