[crossfire] monster cleanup/organization

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Nov 1 01:46:57 CDT 2007

  As part of the tavern test server, I'm going through and cleaning up/balancing
some of the monsters.

  I'm trying to limit changes to some extent, but a lot of monsters have
'incorrect' AC, WC, or damage values, at least as far as the new system goes.
I'm first just doing a rough pass.

  In some cases, the exp for different monsters is also way out of whack - if
two monsters are nearly identical, but one has twice as many HP as the first,
then pretty clear the exp values should be different.

  But one thing I've found is that level of the monster also seems to be used
fairly inconsistently.  If one follows the supposition that the monsters exp
rating is a rough idea of its danger to the player (which seems correct to me),
then it tends to follow that a monsters level should be based quite a bit on
that exp value.

  For example, a level 1 monster with 1000 exp seems incorrect (we'll presume
that the stats of the monster itself say 1000 exp is reasonable for the danger),
as something that dangerous would almost certainly slaughter a level 1
character.  And while I don't think that players should be limited to meeting
creatures of the same level as they are, I think that as far as map making goes,
having some idea of difficulty that is consistent is good.

  Related to that is also the fact that certain spells and spell effects are
level differential based.  A very tough creature with a level value that is too
low is now likely to be too vulnerable to things like death magic.

  So my thought is to try to set levels of creature based roughly on exp - start
of a table here:

Level 1 creatures: less than 25 exp
Level 2: less than 50
Level 3: less than 100
Level 4: less than 250
Level 5: less than 500

  I don't forsee this constantly doubling - at some point, it probably becomes
much more linear - some reason is that the exp table for players starts becoming
fairly linear at level 15-20 I think.

  Thoughts/comments?