[crossfire] combat, spell & monster balance

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Nov 3 02:06:34 CDT 2007

  On my tavern server, I'm going through and trying to balance/re-adjust the
monsters for the changes.

  I wrote a simple script for myself that dumps out key stats for the monsters
(wc, ac, hp, etc), and also based on actual play data, calculates odds the
monster has to hit the player, vice versa, how long the monster would expect to
live, and likewise how much damage it would expect to do to the player.

  I'm sure my script isn't perfect, but this does general useful comparison data
  - another thing I do is have a feature where it only dumps all the monsters of
a specific level - this makes the comparisons really easy - are the wc/ac/hp/exp
of the monsters all within reasonable values, etc.  This is a sort of slow
process, but somewhat interesting.

  Now playing with this some, my observations:

- Compared to player level, monsters should generally have similar hp to the
player - this just is needed to keep player vs player balance - right now, most
spells do so much damage at high levels (needed because monsters have hp), that
it will kill another player if hit by it.

- Related to that, it  means that monsters generally need to have fairly similar
hp at a given level - this goes backs to spell again.  For example, if you have
2 level 5 monsters, one at 75 hp, the other at 25, but of similar toughness (due
to armor, ac, damage, speed), that second one is now easy pickings for a mage,
as AC is meaningless for most spells, as is armor (may have other resistances,
but probably not for everything - and if so, why not just give more HP then).
This isn't a hard and fast rule, but that is one thing I have noticed in my
balancing - in some cases, the HP range varies a whole bunch

- More on HP - reducing the dynamic rage also helps out in spell balance and
spell reduction - with some creatures have 5,000 hp, there really isn't any way
within the game to have low level spells increase in damage at a fast enough
rate to keep up with that, so you get higher level spells.  If monster HP
doesn't rise so dramatically, it may not be possible for things like bolt spells
to increase in damage enough to still be effective at higher levels

- Last note on HP - at the low levels, with the revised starting HP on the
tavern server, the monsters tend to have lower HP with them catching up to the
player at higher - I'll have to see how this works with spells, but in some
cases, it just doesn't make sense/work to have higher hp - for example, if a
mouse had 20 HP, it would take a character probably 4 hits to kill it (and that
presumes that mouse has an AC bad enough that the character can hit every time)
- in that mode, I don't think players would ever really be able to clear out
those mouse and slime infested areas.  I think this may also work better/help
balance the mages - their starting spell may still be able to kill those first
level creatures and not kill players, and given they are likely to need to rest
often to regain mana, that faster kill is likely to offset the time they need to
rest.

- Related to that, and also to other discussions, it would seem desirable to me
that as creature level goes up, so does its life expectancy, even though the
player level is higher and does more damage.  A lot of this is based on maps -
most low level maps are just maps full of monsters, where as when you start to
get higher, the maps tend to be more sparse.  If it took 5 seconds to kill a
kobold, that would be really annoying really fast, but taking 5 seconds (or
longer) to kill a dragonman likely wouldn't.

- I've also noticed from my script that the total damage the creature does
relative to the player increases as level goes up (I term this %death of player)
- a lot of this relates to the above - individually, low level creatures are
short lived, and don't do a lot of damage, so are not likely to do a bunch of
damage on their own.  But this also strikes me as a somewhat good thing - at low
levels, the only option for a character is really to run away and rest - at
higher levels, many more options exist - potions, spells, scrolls, etc to regain
HP.  In fact, it seems reasonable that at higher levels, there may be monsters
who %death > 100, implying that a character can not survive a 1 on 1 battle
without using magical healing

- One way in which i'm balancing monsters is by the speed they have - most
monsters have a speed of less than 0.25, and many are only at 0.1 -> 0.2.
Doubling a monsters speed from 0.2 to 0.4 effectively doubles how dangerous it
is (more attacks in that time period) - I expect that may be a way a lot of the
more powerful monsters get adjusted to make up for their loss of hp (that and
increasing resistance values if they are currently low)

- As per other e-mail, in my balancing, I do tend to be grouping monsters of
similar exp (and thus danger) at the same level - this once again makes it much
easier to compare the monsters and see things that stick out

  Just sme random observations and thoughts.