[crossfire] tavern combat server, was Re: Project: Slow down combat

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 6 00:26:16 CDT 2007

Started an elven sorcerer a day or so ago... and have put in a
couple of hours on him by now (mid-level 4).  He has no melee
combat skills except punching.  I was very surprising/fun and
very playable.  In fact, it was almost too easy ... and resulted
in a death or three from overconfidence while adjusting to the
new playing style.

I have to say that the increased regeneration rate while "resting"
is a huge improvement.  A lot of the old games let you 'sleep' for
this effect.  It has a huge impact on being able to hit-n-run with
a pure magic user, and I would vote it a resounding success.

The elven sorcerer might as well forget melee altogether at low
levels, and possibly forever until learning a skill other than
punching.  That is probably a good thing, considering the dramatic
changes that result from increased HP, etc.

As far as the low level sorcerer goes, I'd say the first 4/5 levels
that I did play seemed a bit too easy, though I don't know how that
might scale as levels go up.  I think I was only level 2 or low 3
when I was able to clear Resir's.  The big dudes in the innermost
chamber got me twice while figuring out a strategy, but it wasn't
hard to get one... running around the sides of the building and
taking them on one at a time, or, using an invisibility scroll
that I had happened to pick up earlier.

Found/fixed a bug in the Sorceror's Hat as a result of this
session, so it was an all-around success.  The hat granted at
character generation did not take up the head slot, so it was
possible to wear a helmet and the hat at the same time.

All in all, great go on this round of experimental tweaks.

I'll try another character class out soon... though I'd like to
retry starting a priest as before to see how the recent changes
affected that type of character.

Kevin