[crossfire] Spell brainstorming

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Oct 8 15:59:04 CDT 2007

>   It is highly likely that talismans/rings/whatever don't exist to get all
> the attunements active at the same time (and most items that attune also
> repel something else).  But this is purely on archetype/map enforcement.
> Within the code, there is nothing preventing someone from having all the
> skills, and an item being created that gives all the attunements (or more
> likely, some combination of items that give all attunements with minimal
> repels)

And IMO there should be no way to have all attunements at the same time :)
Else that's a too powerful item (ok, maybe if its item power is 105, but
still).

>   At some level, that is more a discussion about skills, and not just
> spells, as it also applies there - can someone be really good in all skills
> (fighting + magic) - it isn't just a matter of spell skills.

That was much discussed, I think, and I remember something about different exp
gains (like you describe later).

>   I don't remember the outcome of those discussions off the top of my head.
>  The complication here is that there are probably some skills which
> shouldn't be counted against, otherwise no one would use them (most of the
> item creation skills.  They are a fun diversion and somewhat useful for
> adventurers, but if having them decreased the amount of exp I gain through
> play using the main skills, I wouldn't use them).

I'd rather use the experience factor - have some skills don't contribute to
the overall exp. If players use them for fun, good, but no penalty for not
using them.

>   IMO, it is probably reasonable for skill scrolls to get removed from
> random treasure, and used sparingly even for quests.  But that really
> doesn't fix the problem - even if the sorcery skill is buried in some high
> level quest, people would probably give you scrolls if you asked for it.
> And then there is the question of what is the point of being able to learn
> sorcery skill if you're character is level 80?

I'd say skills should be acquired through some initiation quest - want to
learn stealing? Go to a thief guild and follow the training :)

>   I didn't specifically mention it, but if the idea of green school of
> magic and red school of magic was added (names purely arbitrary here -
> something better could be chosen) was done, my thought is the only way to
> get those skills is at character creation.
>
>   If you choose a character that has the red magic skill, you get it.
> Likewise for green magic.  There wouldn't be a character that has both red
> and green. And if you choose a class/race that doesn't get either, you're
> out of luck.
>
>   In some sense, if you choose to be a fighter at first level, you will be
> a fighter for the entire game.

With some limits - a fighter needs some magic, though of course not as skilled
as a high level mage.

>   where this sort of breaks down is the melee skills - mages still need to
> be able to use weapons, so if that green mage gets the magic skill +
> weapons, then characters that want to be fighters can still take that
> class, but optimize the stats for fighters, but still have the option for
> spell casting.

*nods*
Maybe increase encumbrance penalty, make fighters take more casting time /
miss more often?

>   Another idea mentioned was different versions of the skills, that have
> different exp gain rates.  Skills that characters start with would
> generally be the best, and ones you pick up off of scrolls (or talismans)
> would be mediocre - this sort of matches one of your ideas.

*nods*
Maybe it could be slightly more tuned - a fighter could have eg an exp gain
ratio of 100% for his "main" skill (one handed weapon), ~70% for some
weapon-related skills (two handed weapon), ~50 for others (missile weapon),
and ~30 or less for magic.
In the same way a red mage would have 100% for red-related spells, ~70% for
other magic, and low for weapons.
And if we also add some caps - fighter can't get over level 50 magic? or
spells are 2 times less effective? or can't learn some spells?), it should be
interesting.
Note that we can't really prevent someone playing a lot to reach high levels
everywhere - we can only make it less powerful.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de
l'aléatoire !]