[crossfire] Spell idea: Elemental skills

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Oct 27 09:49:45 CDT 2007

Hello.

Replying to various mails at the same time.

>   And idea I had was to change the current spell skills into 4 elemental
> skills - fire, water, air, earth.  The praying skill would not get changed.

Sounds good, if we can balance everything.

The idea of a 5th skill, well, not totally sure it's nice. I'd rather see
generic spells you can use with multiple skills.
The issue you'd have with a 5th skill is how to level it - if it has enough
spells to level correctly, why use another elemental? if it has only
utilitarian spells, how can you level it?

>   That could be useful in other regards - another thread had the idea of
> breaking weapons down, so the some classes can only use a limit of the
> weapons (so a mage can't pick up the battle axe) - if we followed an
> example of multiple combat skills, something like a dagger could have
> 'skill simple|complex' type of thing, but the battle axe just have 'skill
> complex'

Or what about:
* create 'axe weapons' as skill, and forbid mages to get it
* put a cap to what mages can use in item power for weapons
things like that?

>   It could also be interesting, but harder to do, that some spells use
> multiple skills for the effect.  Something like pool of chaos, which is
> really creating something from multiple elements, should perhaps take a
> look at the skills and adjust it accordingly - if a character is level 50
> fire and level 5 earth & air, that pool of chaos would really mostly be
> fire, with a little bit of earth and air (things like para elementals are
> also a mix of two elements)

It could be fun, and I'd add: allow 2 players to combine their spell to
generate a different spell - fire storm + wind => big spell (more damage?
greater range?
Also, you couldn't cast eg chaos fire+air if you only master fire+water :)

>   Thoughts?  I think such a scheme would make the wizards a bit more
> different - playing a wizard and not being able to cast ice spells could be
> quite a handicap (or fire or lightning and hopefully same for earth).  And
> it makes some logical sense.

And it gives more importance to wands/rods/staves. I never use charging
scrolls, for instance, not worth the issue - now if you find a nice wand, you
have a use for them!
I would though seriously limit the rods, because they effectively have
unlimited casting - the golden unicorn horn for instance is really powerful,
allowing almost continuous healing. That seems too powerful to me.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de
l'aléatoire !]