[crossfire] additional metaserver2 flag: test server

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Sep 10 02:30:08 CDT 2007

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>   However, at the same time, it would not be desirable for the casual
>> player to go onto one of those servers.
>>
>>   So my thought is to add something like a test/expirimental server flag (T
>> or E perhaps).  The client should not show those unless player clicks on
>> button with something like 'show test servers'.
>
> IMO the news file stating that fact is enough.
> I'm not sure people will know what 'experimental' means, also. What is the
> meaning? Experimental maps? features? monsters? code being tested?

  While the news file is certainly useful, I think it would be annoying to
select something from the metaserver, connect to it, only to find out it isn't a
very suitable server.

  I had previously mentioned that once metaserver2 hits more widespread usage,
it probably makes sense for the client to automatically filter out servers that
are not compatible with it.  I'd also suggest that the client should filter out
these experimental servers unless a command line option or something is given.
In that way, developers have a way to advertise their test servers to other
developers in an easy fashion, but it is effectively hidden from the casual
players that really should be playing on more stable/official servers.

  But maybe this really just isn't a problem.