[crossfire] Project Vote results

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Sep 11 00:29:07 CDT 2007

  Not that many votes - next time it will need to get better publicized I think.
    Because I didn't say I would, I'm not going to publicize how people votes (I
think it would be unfair since there wasn't much advanced notice).  Very few non
developers voted, which perhaps skew these results some.

  Figuring out the winner was quite easy, given that more than half the people
had it as their first choice.  I did run the results through votengine to get a
full breakdown - by the borda elimination method, the results are below.  I
think anything beyond the third or fourth place is probably pretty meaningless -
I found that for myself, trying to figure out how to prioritize two things a bit
down the list starting to become fairly arbitrary.  One problem with this vote,
and maybe something I'll include in future votes, is there wasn't an actual
question of whether some item should even be done.

  For example, are some things at the bottom of the list because people don't
think they should be done (and thus would vote very low), or at the bottom of
the list simply because relative to everything else, they were not important -
there really isn't much way to know (one person that did vote note which ones he
disagreed with, but it wasn't consistently done.

 From this list, 1 is top priority (thing to work on next), 2 would be to work
on after that, etc.  I'd probably say the first 2-3 things could be completed
before another vote is held - redoing votes periodically is I think a good idea
because they changes we are talking about here are big - they may change
gameplay enough that certain things that did not seem important become more
important, etc.  I also expect there may be new points raised (BTW, if you there
was something you think should have been on the voting list but wasn't, send me
an e-mail and I'll put it on the next ballot)

  I'll start a new thread discussing the top point - that way the subject will
be more meaningful.

1) Slow down combat so one can use tactics
2) Balance magic & combat skills so they are more equal
3) Redo races & classes
4) Rebalance spells, so meaningful from level 1 to 100
5) Improve party support
6) Add/improve lore
7) Make a new beginner area/town
8) Re-do/fix/improve alchemy
9 (tie) Make AC into dodge, with most armor giving AC penalty
9 (tie) Add class guild halls
11) Improve NPC chat
12) Re-organize the world into different difficulty areas