[crossfire] Metaserver2 / schmorp

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 11 02:04:13 CDT 2007

Le mardi 11 septembre 2007, Mark Wedel a écrit :
> Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Schmorp server appears on metaserver2. But the officiel client (latest)
> > SVN does *not* work with this server.
> >
> > This server shouldn't be on metaserver2 until it supports the official
> > Crossfire client, since metaserver2 is the future 2.0 version.

<snip>
>   As such, it would seem banning servers from metaserver2 because they do
> not support latest trunk would be wrong, because that would likely result
> in us banning 1.x servers also.

I don't see this as a problem: keep the metaserver version 1 for 1.xx servers,
and the metaserver2 for 2.xx versions.

It seems rather logical to me that two series of servers that are not using
interoperable communication protocols with their respective clients appear in
different lists.

>   If schmorp was not playable with either the 1.x client or trunk client,
> then it seems reasonable it shouldn't be listed.

If we let incompatible servers in either of the metaserver lists, then what
will new players think of the game when they attempt to connect with the
wrong version of the client to a given server ?

This could be excused if one connects with a client marked "2.x", to a server
marked "1.x" - the difference would give him a clue about the problem. But
what when he connects to a "2.x-trt" with a trunk client, and sees it fail ?

Do we want to damage the reputation of Crossfire just because we don't have
the guts to ban a not fully compliant fork from our public server lists ?

>   Looking what is there right now, it does seem that schmorp is reporting
> some incorrect information, which would be grounds for blacklisting - in
> particular, it clearly isn't running off a standard code base (and I'm not
> sure about maps or arches), so that should get fixed.  It also doesn't seem
> to be reporting bytecounts, but I don't think we have an actual official
> policy that it has to do that.

You are the boss. Why does it take so long dodging around the problem ? Is the
2.x-trt server fully compliant with 2.x (trunk) clients ? No. Hence its
marking is not proper, its presence in metaserver 2 isn't either, so scrap it
from it - problem solved.