[crossfire] Metaserver2 / schmorp

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Sat Sep 15 07:36:52 CDT 2007

One minor thing I forgot. "our" client was a full crossfire
client. Although it ran with reduced features (worse graphics, no
graphical dialogs etc. for lack of server support), we faithfully
implemented all Crossfire features, in some cases at a lack of fidelity
to support the limited protocol options available from Crossfire
servers. There is tons of code the exists solely to give a nice impression
for people playing on Crossfire servers (not just graphics, also music,
sound, dialogs and so on). We really wanted to support Crossfire servers,
too, in the best possible way.

We faithfully tried to support players as neutrally as possible. We didn't
advertise against Crossfire, we didn't tell our users how much better our
server is (because we believe in more than just fair/legal play and are
confident (adn history has proven us right) that our players can make
educated choices themselves). We always and fairly included all servers
from the metaserver, even though plaing on crossfire servers came at a big
loss of functionality.

(Quite to the contrary, whenever a I joined metalforge e.g. to see wether
a bug is older or not, I was greeted rather derogatively "schmorp the
asshole", "go away", "your server stinks" etc. This does never happen to
anybody joining our servers. While those players (or debelopers) can say
whatever they want, this is just another datapoint at how nice we played
(or actually, to me, thats not "playing nice" but actually the minimum
honesty one can humanly give, something the Crossfire project by actively
spreading lies about us does not grant us)

Unlike supporting gcfclient (which I agree is, or at lats was, is a
practical necessity) we didn't have to do that at all, we did that because
we were always friendly and open towards Crossfire.

Just the opposite: our client was never included in the list of clients
(despite being compatible and the most gamelike/highest fidelity client).
Our servers were barred from being included in the forums, although it was
initially offered to us.

Any service available and possible, most simple help or support was REJECT by
the Crossfire project. It was always *us* who were open and compatible and
trying to improve the situation.

(And in hindsight, the choice to use our own metaserver for our client,
which of course came at a cost, turned out to be a blessing).

Almost needless to say, however, I will personally rip out each and any
support for Crossfire in the future. This latest behaviour is just too
much to bear, and even the most forgiving man (which decidedly I am not)
would not see a reason to continue supporting a project that always tries
to hurt whereever possible.

Also, my relations to Crossfire as a project officially end here except
keeping the memory of "those guys who tried to harm us all the time".
(Yes, I am aware its just leaf, nicholas, yann and a few others, but I
do condemn all of you who actively supporting crossfire for supporting
those).

then they fight you, then you win.
Mahatma Gandhi