[crossfire] just a comment for SDL (was RE: Release of 1.11 in a week or two)

Olivier Huet huet.o at free.fr
Wed Sep 19 14:09:20 CDT 2007

Hello,

Just for SDL, there is perhaps a better chance to have hardware acceleration
with it than with OpenGL only : I don't know SDL but looking a little
sources and documentations, I think that it do try several ways to have
hardware acceleration available on hosting operating system (DirectX &
OpenGL for Windows, DGA & OpenGL on Linux + XFree86, etc.).

For a little example, on Windows, OpenGL drivers are not always directly
installed on recent laptop with "modified for laptop" video cards : you have
to wait to have some new drivers or to use some tricks to install standard
drivers (thoses normally for non laptop but that do works perfectly with
laptops :-) ).

When I used to use Linux, there was almost never hardware OpenGL driver
available. I hope it did change now :-) but you probably have more recent
news than me on that subject.

But on the other hand, I do know a good proverb in computer science : the
less "external library" you use, the more stable your application will be
:-)
--> so regarding what you say and this proverb, it's perhaps a good idea to
remove SDL mode, in benefit to adding more functionalities in OpenGL mode
:-)

Olivier Huet
(findufin & findragon on mf)