[crossfire] Project: Slow down combat (stamina?)

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 23 09:49:59 CDT 2007

>   One thought I just had about this is changing weapon speed vs normal speed.
>
>   Right now, normal speed is used for movement, and if you attack something,
> what is currently your weapon speed gets moved into speed left for those extra
> attacks.  This also creates other odd effects, as now it is also movement speed.
>
>   My thought is to completely separate them.  speed (and speed_left) is only
> used for movement, and is used like things are now.
>
>   weapon_speed (& weapon_speed_left- abbreviated wsl) work like the speed ones -
> each tick, wsl is increased by weap_sp, not to exceed it.
>
>   If moving onto a space would result in an attack, an attack is made so long as
> wsl>0.  For the attack, wsl is decreased by one.  speed_left is not modified, or
> perhaps decreased by some amount so that it becomes difficult to do a 'move,
> attack, move' in same tick.  I'd say that weapon_speed itself doesn't get
> directly changed by this, but it may be reasonable that if advanced combat
> options are added, some actions take more time than other (disarm maybe
> decreases wsl by 2 for example).
>
>   Now what I thought would make this interesting is instead of weapon_speed
> being just a player attributed, make it an object/monster attribute.
>
>   This gives another way to tune monsters.  Now you can have monsters that move
> really quickly, but perhaps don't attack very fast - things that are hard to run
> from.  And you could have other monsters that move slowly, but attack fast if
> nearby.  In a sense, this could be used to mimic creatures that should get
> multiple attacks (think something like a squid with multiple tentacles).
>
>   the default behavior for monsters would be weapon_speed = speed, so that every
> monster does not need to be modified.
>
>   Thoughts/comments?

I suspect it is going to be difficult to balance combat and effectively slow
down the combat without making physical combat metered like mana/grace
combat is.

A proposal for making physical combat speed controlled by a metered resource
like "stamina" is hereby on the table for discussion.

Physical combat is extremely unbalanced a the moment, IMO.

Kevin