[crossfire] Release of 1.11 in a week or two

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun Sep 23 13:11:06 CDT 2007

>   It shouldn't be.  It's possible that a few things or other changes were
> outside of #ifdefs.  For both client & server, having curl shouldn't be a
> requirement.

What's the point of metaserver2, then? :)
I think curl is needed, so newer clients use newer servers.

>   Having pthread, at least for client, may be, as even for metaserver1
> support, it now uses pthread to get the data from the server in its own
> thread.
>
>   pthread may get used for more stuff - threading the client is an
> interesting idea (one thread to deal with drawing, another for socket) - in
> this way, GUI is always snappy, and the number of locks needed to make this
> happen actually isn't that many.

Actually, pthread is probably harder to get for Windows than curl ;)
And threading the client, what for? I mean, that's not a small task, what is
the point of threading for now?

>   Haven't tried, but see comment about SDL map support getting removed in
> other message.  While I know there is always desire to have as many options
> as available, as the person that has done considerable work with SDL and
> opengl for drawing logic, opengl seems a much better solution (it seems to
> provide many more acceleration options than SDL.  For example, if at some
> point we move lighting effects to the client, opengl has interfaces for
> that.  For SDL, we'd need to write our own lighting routines)
>
>   Now I realize that everyone may not have working opengl, etc, but for
> those people, pixmap mode is still there.

Well, SDL is nice because you can use audio things too, so you get sound
support. But maybe openal could be used, as another thread mentioned.

Also, if I remember correctly, pixmap does not support alpha transparency,
which is something it'd be great to have (ok, in a few years / centuries,
when we have artists...)

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de