[crossfire] Project: Slow down combat

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 17:02:34 CDT 2007

Here's a relatively simple alternative suggestion:

Actions have a speed rating.  Essentially, this represents how often an
average character would be able to perform that action.  So this will be
an attribute of weapons and of skills (specially interesting for unarmed
combat skills), and possibly spells.

A special case is walking.  Either just decide that this is a constant
value, or make that an attribute of the living creature.

Then, on top of that, every living creature has a speed modifier: a
multiplier that is applied to every action's speed.

While I call that "speed", we could just as well do the opposite and call
it "time" (T for the purposes of this email), meaning how many seconds,
ticks, or whatever the action takes.  Or call it "speed" to make
archetype writing easier to understand, but internally convert that to T.

So when your "turn" arrives, if you have an action queued, you perform
that action, and then your next "turn" is after this action finishes, T
ticks(/seconds/...) later.  If there is no action queued, you're assumed
to take the default action of "wait", which has a (low) constant T.

I believe this is simple to implement, easy for map/arch writers to grok,
and easy for new players to understand.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----