[crossfire] Spell rebalancing notes/thoughts

Juha Jäykkä juhaj at iki.fi
Sat Apr 5 03:11:11 CDT 2008

>   That's not to say all parts of the game should just be combat - getting
> elected mayor, etc, is reasonable, but that is a bit different than
> adventuring.

I'd like to establish my own city... Or at least build a headquarters for my
adventuring band (should I ever get one together). Building a building is
already possible with acme (I gather - haven't actually tested), but getting
npc's to move over to your city might be nice, too.

This, of course, produces a problem: is the number of npc's fixed or should
they reproduce? If the number is fixed, moving would mean depleting other
places, which may or may not be desirable. If they reproduce, some must also
die... again, we may or may not want that. One thing is certain, though: the
npc who gives quest related information in Scorn should always live in Scorn
and not move elsewhere. (Perhaps if the quest is not at all Scorn-related,
this could be relaxed.) The npc could travel around, though, but should
definitely be in Scorn almost always (but could go home to sleep at night
etc).

>   It may not be bad to have NPCS to help provide clues, like the old mage
> saying "I wouldn't venture into the caves with less than half a dozen
> potions".

I'd say "of course they should provide clues". It's just a matter of getting
around writing them. All in all, some more clues about various places around
the world might be nice - if someone just wrote them! =) I could drop in a
few npcs for the few places I know of, but I haven't really looted every
single dungeon in the game and I do not know the point or story behind quite
a few places I've been to. For example the elven tree houses North-West of
Scorn or the archaeological dig East of Scorn, the whaling village (and the
antarctic island you can get to from there) etc. I have no idea about the
stories behind those. Skud's tower looks unfinished etc.

> have regen go up even faster - the idea being here that character is
> presumably in a 'safe' location if they are not taking damage or doing
> combat, so why not have them get stats back faster.

Sounds good, but does it incur much load for the server? The more different
things we offload to the server, the sooner we need to start thinking about
multithreading it... (if we are to support really massively multiplayer
stuff, of the order of tens or hundreds of players).

>   And within crossfire, that could also work - have fewer tougher monsters
> that are more interspersed with open space.

Sounds good, too. Some puzzles would be nice, too. Although I admit puzzles
are really difficult to invent in a game like this.

-Juha

		| Juha Jäykkä, juolja at utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|