[crossfire] Crossfire won't work (several errors)!

Kedjane - kedjane at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 9 05:38:01 CDT 2008

Hey,
I used to play Crossfire seriously a few years ago - had a great time but eventually something else came up so I had to stop playing, but still I've been making an annual (or twice a year) return to my character: checking the appartment out, seeing so my character hasn't gotten auto-deleted and visiting a certain place.
Anyhow now I've got problems and it might be because I'm using Windows XP, a 1680x1050 screen (although I tried briefly on a smaller screen I have plugged in aswell) and I noticed Gaim have switched name to Pidgin!
The problem I'm having is when I start it up no servers appear in the list - I can't type anything in the little field and it runs in a strange window. The window is always exactly so tall it won't fit on my screen and I can only pull it out wider horisontally but not vertically - quite a problem. So, when I try to maximize it the whole thing freezes or something and everything I hold over appears to stay there if you know what I mean.
For example: if I open a .txt window and move it above my Crossfire window, then close the .txt window it still appears to be there even though it's not - proof that Crossfire have frozen.

The files I'm using are just the Windows Client linked on the Crossfire page (1.11.0) and Pidgin 2.4.3.

Anyhow, I tried to solve it myself by removing everything and saw the "Windows users use this:" thing on the Crossfire site, some GTK thing, and downloaded it but when I tried to install it it said a newer version of GTK already was installed. I've tried searching through the entire computer and I have deleted everything named both "GTK" and "Crossfire" but still it sais it's already installed.
So, right now I've installed Crossfire (1.11.0) again along with Pidgin but now when I try to play it sais libglib-2.0.0.dll is missing and reinstalling might help. My guess is because I deleted all "GTK" files earlier - but since there is some fraction of them left somewhere I can't reinstall them to solve the problem!
Any hints on how I can completely delete GTK? Add/remove software and searching for "GTK" doesn't work.

For now I'll try to remove everything to get as clean in my folders as possible and wait for a reply on how to properly install the game.
By the way, why can't you register to your forums with a hotmail adress, that's just really annoying. I did register using a different email, but it turns out I can't access it (I think it was deleted for not being used for a few years).