[crossfire] Crossfire won't work (several errors)!

Rick Tanner leaf at real-time.com
Sat Aug 9 20:00:22 CDT 2008

> For example: if I open a .txt window and move it above my Crossfire
> window, then close the .txt window it still appears to be there even
> though it's not - proof that Crossfire have frozen.
>
> The files I'm using are just the Windows Client linked on the
> Crossfire page (1.11.0) and Pidgin 2.4.3.

What version of GTK ?

The issues you described with the screen not refreshing or appearing to
lock up - I have encountered them as well when GTK had some sort of
conflict with the running app.

What server did you try and connect to?
There is at least 1 server that does not work with recent clients.

> Anyhow, I tried to solve it myself by removing everything and saw the
>  "Windows users use this:" thing on the Crossfire site, some GTK thing,
> and downloaded it but when I tried to install it it said a newer version
> of GTK already was installed. I've tried searching through the entire
> computer and I have deleted everything named both "GTK" and "Crossfire"
> but still it sais it's already installed.

The 1.11.0 client did work best with GTK+ Runtime Environment 2.10.11

Earlier this week (2008-Aug-04), a new snapshot release was made and
that looks to use GTK+ 2.12.9

An install HOWTO is available at,
http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/windows#gtk_2_runtime_environment

> So, right now I've installed Crossfire (1.11.0) again along with
> Pidgin but now when I try to play it sais libglib-2.0.0.dll is missing
> and reinstalling might help. My guess is because I deleted all "GTK"
> files earlier - but since there is some fraction of them left somewhere
> I can't reinstall them to solve the problem!

Try re-installing Pidgin?

Try installing GTK+ 2.12.9?

> Any hints on how I can completely delete GTK? Add/remove software and
> searching for "GTK" doesn't work.

As far as removing your old install of GTK, in all my test installs for
creating the screen shots, etc. I have found using the Uninstall menu
option that is created in Program Files -> GTK+ to work.