[crossfire] Magic map colors and related changes necessary for client and server

Raphaël Quinet raphael at gimp.org
Mon Aug 25 14:01:47 CDT 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:26:35 +0200, Andreas Kirschbaum <akirschbaum at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Mark Wedel wrote:
> > [...]  I'm still tempted for magic map to just send
> > more data so fill in fog of war or other details on the map - in that
> > case, the magicmap values would completely go away.
>
> I vote for this solution -- do not "improve" the existing magicmap color
> table but send actual face information in magicmap responses.

Yes!  If there was a way to vote for this (other than by coding it,
which requires time), then I would vote with both hands.  Sending actual
map data would feel more natural and would make magic maps much more
useful.  This would also get rid of ugly widgets in the clients.

FYI, that's exactly what Nethack does.  When you invoke that spell in
Nethack, you get a full view of all static objects in the map.  Magic
mapping doesn't display monsters or other living objects (unless this has
changed since I last played it) but it shows all walls and tunnels, as if
you had already been there.

-Raphaël