[crossfire] Handling of "Created" and "Modified" info in map headers

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Aug 27 00:18:33 CDT 2008

  I think there are several different issues we're talking about.

If we're talking about giving developers credit, and using the modified field,
it may be reasonable to do so.

  Note that I don't believe 2a of the license applies in the maps in the context
you indicate.  From my reading, 2a covers the case if someone else branches
crossfire and makes changes they need to properly record the differences they
have modified them and in what way.  I don't read it that the files in the
original file have to have that complete change history.

  And should we even discuss the arch files, we don't have any copyright notice
or change notice?  I would almost say those are more problematic as those are
more likely to be new work.

  A concern I do have with listing all the modified history in map files is that
at some point, for some maps, that could get pretty unwieldy if it is trying to
be used as a change log history.  That is because for changelog purposes, you
wouldn't just keep that last entry, but all of them.  So something like:

Modified:  Mark Wedel, 2008-08-25
Modified: Mark Wedel, 2008-08-21
Modified: Rick Tanner, 2008-08-16
Modified: Mark Wedel, 2008-08-01

  And could create a very long list (I just look at one map and it had 40+
commits on it over its lifetime).  So while this may not be a problem that shows
up very quickly, it is certainly something that should be thought about - how
long a list is too long?

  My point about adding in $Id$ strings is that provides a totally clear view of
the map having troubles, or what map a patch was made against.  It is marginally
simpler than having to look at the modified dates and then figure out if the map
has been fixed.

  As for access to source system - that doesn't really make a difference - folks
making patches will start from some base, and that would hopefully get included
in the diff (maybe the editor should empty the $Id$ string?).  For folks running
server from tar balls, the maps would still contain revision information, which
would likely make tracking down bugs easier (map R9821 has this problem - pretty
simple to check if that is the latest).  A list of Modified fields doesn't
really convey to that user much more information, other than last time the map
was modified, unless I have some other reference (like I did a svn update last
night, and that modified date is fairly recent, so probably a fairly recent
change broke it).  But that is really by the date, not by who modified it ($Id$
strings contain date as a note)

  All that said, if some number of Modified: fields were listed, wouldn't bother
me that much.  But then if done, I think we might also want to clarify what
would be appropriate data there - having a name that one can't associate with
anyone in a real basis doesn't add much either.