[crossfire] (Automated) Client Snapshot Releases

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 2 06:48:08 CST 2008

> > What might it take to break the blockade on 2.x client releases?
>
> I would say squashing the double character issue that you mentioned
> later on in your email.
>
> > P.S. Right now my build system is x86_64, and unfortunately x86_64 RPMs
> > seems to have the "[ 1876788 ] Doubled characters in GTK clients" bug.
>
> Or move what is currently in trunk right now and make it 1.12.0 or
> something similar.

It might seem fair to say dealing with that bug is required, but I am
pretty sure that information you dug up says it is a bug on the released
branch which pretty much freezes a "stable" branch too.

( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/crossfire-client/+bug/87194 )

Of course, it is ideal to fix that, but 32-bit players should still be
able to use the client, but I do not have the level of GTK experience
at this point to know this is going to be something I can fix.

That said, I'm in the process of setting up a 32-bit build environment
to check, but so far I can only reproduce the problem when building with
rpmbuild to make RPMs, and people aren't providing the level of detail
about how they build to help with the debug/reproduction.  It does not
happen when building "normally" with ./configure; make; make install,
and, I've even tried the same ./configure parameters the crossfire.spec
file uses.  Probably next up is to diff the spew from a regular build
with an rpmbuild.

In summary, I do not think the double text issue should hold back a
working snapshot.