[crossfire] Platform statement

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Dec 27 16:27:58 CST 2008

Hello.

> I want the world to have a distinct personality and a
> clearly-defined history.  Common people (and beginning
> characters) don't know the whole of this history of course, but
> if you play every single quest, you should learn it to the extent
> that an average cultured modern person knows ours.
>
> The world *will* be rebooted from scratch.  If you want your
> favourite map to be in it, adapt it to the new status quo and
> submit it.
>
> I'm also throwing out the current world history.  It feels
> inconsistent and less than ideally interesting to me; the reason
> I was behind keeping it before was that with Yann as content
> leader, it was in safe hands ;-) as he is always able to come up
> with interesting-sounding answers to anything.  If I'm the one
> who has to do the hard work, then I prefer to go with a more
> "traditional" fantasy setting, with a more mythological emphasis
> and a history that is more present and visible.  (Meaning,
> ancient cities, ruins, sacred places, etc.)

<snip>

I'll actually distinguish two histories: the "real" one, that should be put on
the wiki and mostly be consistent if possible - that'd be the reference one ;
and an "ingame" one, that doesn't need to be consistent at all, after all
stories do get distorted in time, and manipulated for various goals.

So being inconsistent ingame doesn't matter at all imo.

And I for one would go for adjusting existing lore rather than throwing
perfectly good stories that aren't integrated ingame like they should.

Also I'd rather try to match Yann's story level than "reduce the level" and be
content with something common.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de