[crossfire] Player accounts, new player creation mechanism

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Feb 4 23:41:51 CST 2008

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>
>> Character creation mechanism is mostly moved to client, where the player can
>> select race and statistics.
>
> Hi Nicholas.  Presumably the info generated in the client is checked
> somehow on the server to prevent hacked clients becoming a problem?  Eg, a
> completely point based statistic system would be easily checked by the
> server before the character was allowed to login.
>
> I gather all info on a character would still be stored server-side.

Yes on both counts - not addressed in that particular e-mail, but was discussed
extensively in the past.

  Basic idea is server would send relevant information to client (this is how
many stat points you get, these are the different classes & races and what the
stat adjustments are, other benefits, etc).

  Player then plays around with them (let me see how setting this class affects
character, etc), and when satisfied, hits something like done.

  Client then sends data back to server - basically the stats, race, and class.
  Server then verifies data is correct (if a player doesn't use all their
points, that would be fine, but a player can't use more than allowed).

  This basically follows the design philosophy of don't trust anything from the
client.