[crossfire] GTK V2 client default layout and map size

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 12 07:03:20 CST 2008

It is probably time to seriously consider changing the default layout
of the GTK V2 client.  It seems a not infrequent complaint that the
current layout is not helping people appreciate GTK V2, and this was
the primary reason I did work on GTK V2 since it was the entire reason
GTK V2 was unacceptable for my use.

Leaf has been kind enough to put up sample layouts at:

  http://crossfire.real-time.com/clients/gtkv2_client.html

Even if the default is not changed immediately, a poll could be put up
somewhere to start collecting data.  That would at least help put some
numbers to the situation instead of general impressions based on IRC
comments.

My opinion:

I think meflin.glade and gtk-v2.glade are not viable candidates due to
a number of reasons (map size/default window size), though I'd not
avoid letting people vote on them.  meflin.glade is definitely more of
an expert player's layout, due to the messages/inventory being on
different tabs such that you can't see the text displayed if you click
on a floor or inventory icon.

GTK V1 is not really that great, either IMO.  Both Un-Deux and V1-Redux
are better if going for a V1-ish look.

If a layout is selected that is most likely to be compatible with all
desktop sizes, oroboros.glade is the winner there because it has saved
defaults that easily fit on a 1024x768 display, though personally, it
has too many tab notebooks.

In the end, it seems best to let players choose by vote, if only because
the layout is tied so much to personal taste.

I do think that the default map size in the configuration should be
changed.  25x25 is not a practical size for many people, besides having
a performance cost.  It would be good to consider also selecting new
default map sizes - possibly based on either the lowest common denominator
of 17x13 (Oroboros driving the 13), or 17x17 by culling a couple of the
two smallest layouts (Oroboros/GTK V1) and going with 17x17.

Feedback anyone?

Kevin Bulgrien