[crossfire] Using svnmerge for backporting to branch?

Neil Muller drnlmuller+crossfire at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 03:12:10 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:

>   Do have a few questions however:
>
>   What happens if someone doesn't use svnmerge - makes change in trunk, and then
>  still does manual merge in branch?  I'm guessing it would try to re-merge it then?

It will try to re-merge, since it has no information to prevent that.
Marking revisions as merged is quite simple. though, so resolving
these cases is usually a few minutes work.

> Given fairly big code changes in the server from trunk and client (item
> refactoring, some others), one gets more cases of automatic merges not working.
> I'm guessing this really doesn't change much (svnmerge won't get confused with
> those changes?)

svnmerge is still using svn's underlying merge, so it shares the same
issues. Unless something hapens to the svn properties svnmerge uses to
track which merges have happened, it won't have any additional
problems dealing with large code changes.

>   What about 'reverse' commits?  It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes I
>  make the bugfix first on the branch, and then commit back to server?

Those can easily be handled by marking the relevant commit as already merged.

--
Neil Muller
drnlmuller at gmail.com