[crossfire] GTK V2 client default layout and map size

Juha Jäykkä juhaj at iki.fi
Thu Feb 21 12:04:18 CST 2008

> I think that I suggested a solution a long time ago: highlighting the
> changes for the protections.  Basically, every time a protection changes

Something like this would be very helpful. Perhaps accompanied by a warning
sound (should the user have sounds), too. This has been so big a problem,
that I have considered writing a small script to recast all protection spells
whenever they expire, but never got around to do that.

> >   Ideally something like a spell monitor would be nice - protections on
> That would require a bit more coding effort, but that would certainly be

Wait a second, I don't quite follow you now. Don't we already have this? At
least protection spells cause a message "your protection from X is running
out" some time before it actually runs out. Could we not use the same code
(base) for an overall monitor? This warning was actually so big improvement
when it was introduced that it probably was the main reason I did not write
the above mentioned script.

> That's right, but this also has a cost: a top-level window has some
> decorations that can take valuable space on smaller screens.  So if you
> have a small display, then it is better to have as much as possible
> inside a single main window.

You can always request a decorless window from the window manager. I think any
decent ;) window manager disregards the application's request, though, since
it should be the user, who decides that. But the user with such a window
manager can always tell the WM to remove the decors if they are too big.
<rant>Unfortunately, according to the above requirement, I know just two
decent window managers and I know no one who uses either. Luckily most wm's
are almost decent and can add/remove decors when user wants. </rant>

> I couldn't agree more.  All options that are currently hidden behind
> some strange combinations of button clicks and modifiers would be much
> more discoverable by the users if there was some kind of context menu for

Agreed. Although, I hate menus - shortcut keys and mouse-key-click -combos are
so much faster, when you know the magic combo. But, like you already noted,
these have the problem of being obscure and hard to remember (unless you use
them frequently), so having a "slow" way of accessing these functions is very
helpful.

-Juha

		| Juha Jäykkä, juolja at utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|