[crossfire] GTK V2 client default layout and map size

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Feb 21 21:47:08 CST 2008

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

>>   Now one might thing that isn't that big a deal - it will figure out the
>> right layout on its own.  Unfortunately, this is not the case, and glade
>> does some whacky things - see:
>>
>> http://tavern.santa-clara.ca.us/cf/gtk-v2-layout.png
>
> Yes, I've seen stuff like that even just playing with the .glade files.
> I have not figured out all what is going on.  There are shrink and resize
> properties for some widgets that seem important, but I don't yet know
> enough how to correct some of the problems.  Some things can even render
> the position settings on the *panes completely ineffective as you say
> below.

  I played with shrink and resize, but those didn't seem to have any effect in
my case.  It may that the shrink and resize of the different widgets are what is
important.

  What I suppose I find really annoying about this is that the vpanes are set
with specific locations, but when run through the client, don't seem to be used.
  All I really want is for the client to display things the same way they look
in glade, but that doesn't seem to happen.  I've seen this in some other
projects I've done with glade.

> It's worth thinking about, though at some consideration, it seems quite
> noisy/messy to store individual files as the sources, though admittedly,
> likely very easy to implement (which is a lot of why I went with name.pos
> in .crossfire).  I'd think one could have a .pos converter that could
> roll this data into a single file where one could have some meta-data
> could more easily be used than having layout sizes in the file name.
> The .pos file could be simply "contain" by some markup because it is a
> consistent format.  A reverse tool would spit out the equivalent file
> when it was selected.

  My thought for storing the individual files is that it may actually be easier.

  The code that loads them and actually makes the changes doesn't need to be
modified, as format is the same.

  The only thing that would need work is the chooser of the right file (the
different resolution files).  But that is probably just some work with readdir
and the like.

  If the number of .pos files grew very large, then I might rethink on how to
store it - having 200 different files would likely be annoying.