[crossfire] Balance changes

Anton Oussik antonoussik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 03:15:46 CST 2008

On 31/12/2007, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:

> 2) Since the rebalance here includes scaling things up to level 100, it strikes
> me we can not give out new spells every level.  Maybe every 5 or so, so at level
> 5 you get a small exploding ball and small bolt spell (maybe not at exactly same
> level, who knows)

Sure you can. Make old spells have old strength until player learns
new level of the spell. i.e. to cast lelvel 2 bullet you need to find
and learn a level 2 book, and until then you will cast a level 1
bullet. This also allows to fine-tune each spell for each level,
however you would want higher level versions to replace lower level
versions, to keep the spells list from getting too large.

> Item creation classes - if someone wants to play a blacksmith and make weapons
> all day, who am I to say no?  But with other balance changes, we can know how
> this works - that blacksmith needs raw ore, and the facilities and time.  Maybe
> there is a mine near by he can go to get the ore - but if it takes 5 minutes
> realtime for him to get a load of stuff, that help factor out exp gain.
> Likewise, if he gets 50 exp for making a sword, it means he has to make a lot of
> swords to gain a level, and if an actual time delay is put in there (lets say it
> takes 10 seconds realtime to make a sword), it probably means that such a
> character will not gain levels any faster than any other class, so IMO would be
> considered in balance.  The only issue here is that I think such long time (10
> second) actions need to be interruptible - in a sense, it is almost like the run
> on stuff - the character keeps making the sword unless he chooses to do
> something else.  And there is some chance at failure - a first level blacksmith
> maybe only has a 50% chance to successfully make a sword for example.
>
>   I think clerics/priests are basically OK.  Any other thoughts out there?

Do what is already done for mages - make alchemy-like things use mana.
It means the blacksmith will need rest sooner or later. If using
actual mana is too unrealistic to drain by alchemy (as not strictly
magical), perhaps a new type of fatigue could be introduced... However
using mana would be easier for the players IMO.