[crossfire] Balance changes

Juha Jäykkä juhaj at iki.fi
Thu Jan 3 10:42:52 CST 2008

> Having the action take a long time would just be perceived as lag, and
> so should be avoided if at all possible.

Brewing potions (or beer!) could easily have a time lag: it takes time for the
stuff to brew. BUT it does not mean the player should stand immobile: the
player should keep the forge hot while the steel is heating etc. Hammering
the blade into shape DOES take some time, but if we make the preparations
time consuming (without making the player immobile), the balance can be
achieved without making the hammering last too long. This has two advantages:
scripting does not make it any faster and it is realistic (except for the
hammering-takes-no-time-part, which is game-technically required so that
players don't think it's lagging or get bored): it takes some time to heat a
forge, it takes some time for the metal to heat up etc.

> Adopting a similar system to the one used by rods now to prevent
> overuse may be most appropriate.

I have never created a rod. How does this happen?

-Juha

		| Juha Jäykkä, juolja at utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|