[crossfire] Importing the GTK+ editor in SVN

Raphaël Quinet raphael at gimp.org
Sat Jul 19 14:57:35 CDT 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:03:33 +0200, Andreas Kirschbaum <akirschbaum at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am one of the founders of Gridarta and I still maintain the editor. So
> expect my viewpoint to be slightly biased ;)

Slightly, yes. :-)  I don't think that it is necessary for me to
reply to each sentence in detail.  I will just say this: do you realize
that what you have written can be summarized as "I have worked on
solution X and it works, and there is already a lot of code written
for it so I do not want to let others work on solution Y"?  Of course,
I am deliberately exagerating what you said, but it could be interpreted
like that.

By the same reasoning, Gridarta should not have existed, because there
was already the old X11 crossedit.  And if you argue specifically about
using crossfire SVN, then again the same reasoning would have prevented
jxclient from being included.  Why include jxclient which had less
features than the existing clients, especially when a lot of code was
already written for the existing clients and they were actively
maintained?  Well, because some developers were interested in working
on something different (in that case, a Java client).  Although I have
no interest in working on a Java client or editor (because I already
write enough Java code at work and I am looking for something different
in my spare time), I never argued that the Java client or editor should
be somehow banned from crossfire SVN.

> Also, the argument (as stated in another mail in this thread) that map
> makers may want to use Debian stable, is not an argument: the gce
> download page states that libglib2.0-0 version 2.12.6-2 is needed;
> Debian stable has 2.12.4-2 only.

Despite what is written on the gde download page, the version of
gcrossedit that I have been using since last year works fine on Debian
stable.  Also, at least for the stable versions of the distributions
that I use or have access to (Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Novell SUSE
Linux Enterprise Desktop and Fedora), the default installation of each
of these distributions included Perl, glib and gtk+ as part of the pre-
installed packages (no additional download or selection of non-standard
packages).  Note that the latest version of gde has added some
dependencies on Perl modules that are not part of a default install,
but these dependencies are not needed for gcrossedit so they will
probably be removed soon.  Besides, the code that I will put in
SVN is forked from an earlier version of gcrossedit (before the
compatibility with crossfire was removed).

> Just FYI, some of Gridarta's features which I didn't find in gce (and
> which are not at all "hidden" but easily accessible though menus in
> Gridarta):
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions.  It looks like you overlooked at least two
of the existing features of gcrossedit, because they are very similar
to what you described: multiple pickers that can be customized with
lists of frequently used items, map validation and map normalization
done by a separate script.  But most of them sound interesting so they
will be added to the TODO list.  The only feature that I would probably
not add is the auto-updater because I prefer to have that done via the
native packaging system of the target platform.

-Raphaël