[crossfire] GTK V2 Client (libglade) Release

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jul 20 22:49:06 CDT 2008

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
>>   Save for having other people do releases, next on my wish list would be
>> for people to periodically try the release process (make archive from the
>> top level dir - same place you run configure).  If everything 'works',
>> doing a release isn't that time consuming.
>>
>>   But often, things don't work, and it then takes a considerable amount of
>> time to track down the problems.  Most common is new files getting added to
>> SVN, but not the actual makefiles (things like header files, but could also
>> be config files).
>
> The client release procedure on the Wiki has been used as a model for
> testing the releasability of the trunk clients.  A lot of time was spend
> fixing up various aspects of the release procedure including updates to
> configure.ac, various Makefile.am, crossfire-client.spec, etc..  To the
> best of my knowledge, there are no remaining issues.  I was able to run
> the procedure start to finish, and wind up a full set of working RPMS
> on my Mandriva 2008.1 x86_64 system.
>
> Basically all the work is done.  All someone has to do is run the
> procedure and upload tarballs and RPMs.  Should any issues arise due
> to platform differences, I'm willing to help resolve issues as needed.

  Thanks - that helps out a lot.  A similar experiment is probably needed for
the trunk server at some point - I can certainly imagine that with the
refactoring and other changes, some bits may be missing.

  The flip side is that on the server, it tends to be files missing from
Makefiles, as there are not as many files that actually get installed (or at
least that have changed).

  I should probably just set up an automatic script that does an update and
tries to make a release - at least that way, any breakage would be caught fairly
quickly - the more often problem is that months happen between releases, and it
is something that changed months ago.