[crossfire] Seeking life...

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Nov 2 22:35:01 CST 2008

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> So, anyone working on something? Anyone having plans for working on CF? Or can
> we close the shop down?

  I've been fairly busy for the past few months on a kitchen remodel which took
away my time from other projects - that's finishing up just now, so will be
getting more into crossfire work again.

  I plan to resume work on rebalancing the spells.

> I admit I'm not motivated at all lately. The code is a  real mess, maps are
> pretty boring usually, and the game is going nowhere.

  I can certainly understand some of that.  I've run into th same feeling now
and again.

  The one that we usually always come back to is new maps.  As a long term
player/developer, I've played most all the maps, and playing them over and over
again isn't that interesting (when I do player commercial games, I'll tend to
play them through once - it doesn't really interesting me to play the game again
with a different character or play the same areas over and over again with that
first character - I might go explore areas I haven't done yet, but more often
than not, just stop playing that game.  Given how often I play such games, that
tends to work out - something new will come out.

  At some level, it is probably unrealistic to think that new maps can be
created at a pace faster than they can be played - a lot of map makers would be
needed.  It takes quite a bit of time to make up a good map - certainly longer
than it takes to play it.  And perhaps the other side of that is that it can
often be difficult to come up with good maps.  Everyone could sit down and spend
several hours a week doing new maps, but if they are uninspired maps (more of
the same), I'm not sure how much is gained.  One could just play the random maps
for that type of experience.

  The flip side is that many of the maps are so old that they predate many
features since added (lighting immediately comes to mind, but probably many
other aspects), so even new maps of the same type of things may still be an
improvement.