[crossfire] C++/Qt server version

Lauwenmark Akkendrittae crossfire at ailesse.com
Tue Nov 18 06:24:45 CST 2008

Le lundi 17 novembre 2008, Nicolas Weeger a écrit :
> Hello.
>
> I do plan to have a C++/Qt (core only, no X dependency) version of the
> server, with advanced stuff (dynamic archetype loading, ...).
>
> I do expect / want this version to become the official server ("winning" on
> features, hopefully :)).
>
> But I definitely don't want a fork, so I'd like to work on CF's SVN server.
>
> So two options:
> - I work directly on trunk - my preferred option, considering it's
> "unstable" since some years, and doesn't seem to be soon stable, not much
> work going on it
> - I make a branch and work there - and if needed / when we want we merge to
> trunk
>
> Opinions?
>
> Note that this isn't for tomorrow, some stuff to finish before, maybe in a
> few weeks :)
>
> Nicolas

From past experience, I'd tend to lean towards writing a server code "from
scratch", possibly recycling various elements by cut'n'paste, instead of
evolving a codebase that is already of questionable cleanliness.

This would also need to lay down a code architecture, split this into tasks,
and establish a development schedule. It also obviously require a coding
team - the scale of the task would require it to achieve decent results in an
acceptable development time.

My main concern is that by using the current code base without a solid design
map, the result would mostly be a "Crossfire with Qt extensions" - most
griefs I have towards the current code are architectural, and I'm not sure an
incremental approach would allow to really solve them.

Finally, from your message content, it is hard not to see the intend as being
more "using Qt" than "providing something new". Although I strongly believe
myself that the use of C++/Qt can lead to a more flexible, less complex code,
I wouldn't go on Qt just for the sake of it: why you want to do that and with
which planned advantages in terms of features/stability is what I'd want to
be defined before judging on my position about this.
--

Lauwenmark.