[crossfire] C++/Qt server version

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 11:04:59 CST 2008

quoth Nicolas Weeger as of Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:50:17 +0100:
> So why Qt:
> - cross-platform
> - well tested through KDE and many applications - has all the basics we
> need: strings (including shared strings for memory reduction unless I'm
> mistaking), sockets, file / directory, threads and locks, multilanguage
> support
> - modular so we can only use what we need (no GUI for server,
> definitely) - easy to plug in GUI if needed with class coherence -
> signal/slot mechanism that could be used for plugins or archetype
> reloading - existing unit test framework (not that advanced, but enough
> for almost all our needs I think)

All your arguments are also true of Boost, thought ;-) with the added
benefit (IMHO) that probably more people already have Boost installed
than Qt.  (Probably more people already know it, too.)

Then again, as I said before, whatever you pick is fine... you're the one
writing the code!

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----