[crossfire] Bug 2789515: output-count broken since 1.11 server

Kevin Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Thu Aug 6 23:31:45 CDT 2009

For those interested, see the SF tracker:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2789515&group_id=13833&atid=113833

This is fair warning that the server support for output-count and output-sync
functions is about to be removed rather than fixed.

Ragnor states that jxclient already implements message folding in the client.

After looking over the server code, it seems quite clear to me that mwedel's
suggestion to move it to the client is a good idea.

My plan at the moment is to have the server continue to save the output_count
and output_sync fields to the player file, but to otherwise completely remove
references to any of the code and declarations that supported the facility.
The player save function would simply write the old defaults in to the player
file so that an older server would run sanely on the player file even if it
had been saved by the modified server.  A comment will be placed there saying
that this should/could be removed when the server goes 2.x.

Comments welcome.  The changes are sitting in my SVN checkout, but I'll hold
back a bit in case there is any life out there that cares.

Kevin