[crossfire] Player level vs monster level vs experience

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Dec 5 14:16:19 CST 2009

>   That is how I see it - monster level and player level should roughly
> match. But in this context, I'd sort of say a group of monsters and player
> level should roughly match.
>
>   For example, at first level, the character will be fighting typically
> large groups of level 1 monsters, it's not a 1:1 battle.  But that first
> level character might be able to take on a level 4-5 monsters on a 1:1
> basis, but should die if he takes on a group of them.

Then that's not "matching" :)
A real match would be a level 5 monster being able to kill a level 5 players.

>   Except for the most part, there are not that many things to adjust for
> monsters in crossfire - you do have level, hp, ac, sp, and skill levels.
> But if all level 15 monsters had the same hp/ac/sp, it would be pretty
> boring - you need to be able to have enemy wizard with a bunch of sp, but
> maybe not as many hp, etc.

Except you could say: monsters have 1 hp / ac / sp (whatever) for level 1.
Each level can give 2 hp, or 1 ac, or 1 sp.
Thus for level 15 you could have 31 hp / 1 ac / 1 sp. Or 1 hp / 16 ac / 1 sp.
Or 1 hp / 8 ac / 9 sp. And so on.

>   In theory, monsters should have all the same skills as players, and those
> be set at appropriate levels.  Right now, I think a lot of the code just
> uses monster level for skill level, which more or less works.

I'm not even sure the skill level is really used in many cases.

>   When I was doing the rebalance, I was basically setting a monsters exp
> based on its level, but there was still a range.
>
>   That said, I think it would be completely reasonable to redo it - exp is
> based solely on level of the monster.  If a monster is too easy for that
> exp, then it needs to be adjusted in some way (which could mean lowering
> level).
>
>   However, keeping it a monster attribute does allow for maximum
> flexibility - for example, when redoing it, I basically had this as a exp
> value based on level of monsters:
> 1	<10 exp
> 2	25
> 3	50
> 4	100
> 5	250
>
>   on so on.  But in this model, there are some big gaps - one could
> reasonably say a tough level 4 is maybe worth 125, and and easy level 5
> (but still harder than that level 4) is 200

Really depends on the view for higher levels.
Will you have a level 100 player fighting 50 levels 99 monsters easily?
Or player level 50 versus 10 monsters level 45 is ok, but 100 vs 99 is
balanced on 1vs1?

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Mon p'tit coin du web]