[crossfire] Changing connection texts

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Dec 5 14:12:52 CST 2009

Hello.

>   Should some game things maybe be made account wide properties and not
> character properties?  Off the top of my head, I could think of things like
> apartments.

KISS for now. Let's just make an account, we'll think about shared apartments
later.
Though I'd rather have shared apartments decided by players - so you can have
one apartment shared by all your players, and also another shared by various
people.
Like a guild, that is :)

>   I don't really like an in-game solution.  While easy to do, and easy for
> all of us to deal with, its not great for new players.

Menu driven is fine, then, and not too hard to do, I'd guess.

>   But I'm also not sure if your ingame comment refers to selecting a
> character to play or creating a new one.  For creating a new one, we could
> perhaps leave the existing mechanism there since redoing is more work.  But
> making in game (map based) character selection I think would be more work
> than just doing the appropriate dialogs.

Current creation mechanism sucks. Yes. It's bad. It's evil.

If only because first you choose stats then class - which then uses some stats
more than others.

So let's take the opportunity to rewrite the character generation mechanism.

> Question on accounts:  Where do we store this information?  May be a flat
> file or dbm file or something?  After all, the only information associated
> with an account is the name, password, and characters for that account -
> not a lot of information here.  But flat files don't work good if you have
> thousands of entries.

Flat file seems ok for me.
Obviously, I could suggest an abstraction layer with a pluggable storage
mechanism being DB/file/..., but in C that'd be a PITA to write :)

> Step B: Character selection:
> 1: Player can choose from existing characters (display names), create a new
> character, or associate an existing character with this account (after all,
> for all characters existing before this change, they won't be associated).
> 2: If character selects existing character, just load up that character and
> play - assume that if the character has been set up for account, there is
> no need to check password, etc.
> 3: If player creates new character, basically same as now, but we don't
> need a password - like #2 above, since the character is associated with an
> account, we use that password.
> 4: If player needs to associated a character with this account, and for
> character name and password.  See if that is correct - if not, error out.
> If so, verify that the character is not already associated with an account
> (if so, give them an option to associate with this new account?).  Once
> player associates character with account, go back up to B.1 - player may
> not want to play that character immediately - I could see a case when first
> creating the account that you want to associate all your characters with
> it.

Seems ok.

>   Note also that within the client, in addition the existing logout, there
> another option is needed.  Logout could be as it is now - logout and go
> back to metaserver selection.  But also log out character and go back to
> character selection - should make it somewhat easy for player to choose
> which character to play.

Yup.

Nicolas
--