[crossfire] [Rebootworld] Priests and prayers and cults

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jan 7 01:15:35 CST 2009

Juha Jäykkä wrote:
>>   If a magic user wants to get the basher reward, maybe not a problem.
>> That said, just as the scorn nobility quest is a chain quest (you have to
>> do them in order), same could basically be true for these class based
>> quests.  If you've done the first 4 as a wizard, and try to get the fighter
>> reward for the fifth one, they might say 'who the hell are you?' type of
>> thing.
>>
>>   Or maybe base it on skill level.  The fighter guild may not care about
>> order of quests, but they are not going to give out some good item to some
>> newbie fighter, even if the character has lots of exp.  However, if the
>> character has 10 levels of a fighter type skill, that may be considered
>> good enough for them to give the reward.
>
> Sounds fair enough. The reward might also not be static at all, but depend on
> the skill level. Or perhaps even the number of previous same-type quest
> rewards given to the player. So if you suddenly decide you want the basher
> reward after first getting 10 wizard rewards, you'd get the "low-level"
> reward.

  That would work, but also have to be careful about it - you don't want some
character to do a whole bunch of the basic low level quests and having done
enough, now gets a really nice item.

  While perhaps not as interesting, I sort of like the idea of static rewards
for most quests (or at least static based on quest giver - if there are several
folks that want something done, they may give out different items).

  A few reasons for this - less reason to repeat quests if you're just going to
get the same reward.  Or conversely, if you get different rewards, you now get a
case where you want to be able to repeat them (I did quest XYZ and got this
crappy item).  But I think it also allows for better tuning - you can have a
better idea of character power, etc, and appropriate reward.

  It also perhaps doesn't make a lot of sense to get better rewards based on
skill level.  A level 40 fighter who goes and does a goblin quest probably
should still be given the same crappy item - the person giving the quest hasn't
suddenly come across a lot nicer weapon to give away - what he has is what he
has.  In a sense if I'm offering a reward for something, my reward isn't likely
to vary based on who does it.

  One other note - while I mentioned idea of using same quest for different
classes, they may not all be the same.  For example:

fighter: A->B->C->D->E
wizard: A->F->G->D->E
cleric: H->B->C->D->I

  and so on (each letter represents one quest in the chain).  That example may
be a bit more complicated then what would really get done, but sort of helps mix
things up some.  Could also have some quests with more links in the chain, or
maybe for some, the order is different based on difficulty (something could be a
lot harde for a fighter than for a wizard as an example)