[crossfire] How to integrate old stories in the game?

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Tue Nov 24 16:10:12 CST 2009

>   I think we have sort of learned over time that coding in such solutions
> tends to lack flexibility we generally desire, or don't give as good
> results as we might hope.
>
>   We could certainly have script based text garbling, but having it do it
> so that it doesn't look like something that was script based would be hard.

Randomly replace a word by random letters, with the same length.
That'd do the trick, no?

>   I don't think this is a pure client solution.  That's just my thought.
>
>   It's never really clear where the split between client and server is.
> But my thought is something like this:
>
>   On the server side, there is something like a folio object which
> characters can put all those different notes into.  Perhaps there is even
> code to see if the character already has a copy of that message.  This
> could basically be just a container object with some special handling.
>
>   On the client side, it perhaps brings up a window which shows everything
> in the follow, so you can quickly read through it.  Maybe in the form of a
> book which you just page through.

Then let's find a volunteer to code that server side, and implement
client-side too :)

>   Ideally, each written note would have a title, so there could be a table
> of contents.  Things like 'Dungeons of the Deserts', 'Monsters of the
> Southern Forests', 'Characteristics of Ogres', etc.

I'd add options for the client to manipulate stuff around.
And also to copy items to give to other people - if you have paper, and if you
have writing, the higher the level the lower the probability to make copy
mistakes.

>   While this could perhaps all be handled on the client (when you read
> something, it automatically records that information in a file), that
> doesn't seem ideal.  The information we are talking about here is really
> character information - while there is nothing that prevents one from
> sharing this knowledge, I just don't think it would be a good user
> experience that if you switched to a different client (or perhaps same
> client running on a different machine), you've suddenly lost all that
> information.

Sure, server side.

We'd need a way to identify uniquely a message, though, which I'm not sure is
something we already have.
Messages randomly generated, and also messages from /lib/messages

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref de
l'aléatoire !]