[crossfire] Release?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Apr 15 23:18:03 CDT 2010

On 04/15/10 08:47 PM, Kevin Bulgrien wrote:

> Without countering Mark, I have build scripts that go all the way down to making
> RPMs... I'll support you in making a client release compatible with branch if you
> really want that.  I can see part of the point of having branch for stability, but
> at some point it seems to detract from CF progress since people are banging on
> current development and pointing out issues, making suggestions, etc.
>
> I am, however, in full agreement with Mark regarding server, etc. and I'm not
> interested in putting time in on branch for server.  The scripts automatically do
> assemble maps, etc as was done for prior releases, so its not like I'd have to
> spend a lot of time trying to help out on the client, but I don't have the
> server builds scripted.

  Quick thoughts:

  On the client side, a few trivial changes would let the 1.50 (proposed) client
work on 1.12 servers.  I'd rather do that than have both a 1.50 and 1.12 client
release.

  I believe the main thing that the 1.50 client did was remove some of the set
up options, on the basis these are now defaults.  Now certainly there is some
new logic in the 1.50 client which one would not use on a 1.12 server (account
based, I think the improved spell monitoring, etc).

  Likewise, the 1.12 client should be able to run on latest server without any
real issues, but also wouldn't be able to use the new features the server offers.

  If the concern here is for servers that will spend some time migrating but
players would be using the latest client, then my preferred solution would be to
make sure latest client works on 1.x branch servers.