[crossfire] Auto ID on examine

James Lopeman meflin at meflin.net
Tue Apr 20 20:39:38 CDT 2010

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 7:19:58 pm Brendan Lally wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 13:00:24 +0300
>
> "Otto J. Makela" <om at iki.fi> wrote:
> > Brendan Lally wrote:
> > > This changes the way the examine command (triggered by left
> > > clicking on an object) works so that if the object is unidentified,
> > > and the player has the appropriate skill, then an attempt to
> > > identify the object is automatically made.
> > >
> > > The intention is that this should make the ID process much smoother
> > > for new players, and less likely to be discovered after wasting
> > > money on ID tables or selling items that were useful.
> >
> > This does change the overall game balance a bit (making it easier to
> > use skills automatically), but all-in-all I think it is a good change.
>
> I'd lik
> few levels and only because with the e to think that the change to game
balance is only for the firstcurrent behaviour new players may
> lose money because they sell items before identifying them, or pay to
> identify items which they could have IDed for free because they had the
> appropriate skill to identify them.
>
> I'd consider such behaviour to be a challenge posed by the interface
> rather than the game itself.
>
> The flipside is that a player who would want to 'scum' exp by
> identifying a huge stack of arrows individually using a keybinding or
> script might accidentally click on the stack and 'lose' the exp they
> would've gained.
>
> I'm not sure that sort of behaviour that should be encouraged or
> rewarded though - even if I have done it myself in the (distant) past...
>
> Brendan.

There is no change to game balance for experienced players. At most
it is a change in your available choices. Make a key-bind if you know how
or spend a long time typing commands. Xp scumming takes experience and
planning. After this change you can just pickup and run a script anyway. There
is no reason to hose new players in the way it works now.

I was thinking that it might be slightly better to create a new command
"identify" that is pre-bound to i or some such. _BUT_ examine isn't a command
most players know now. Left click is easy for new players to figure out and
also easy for experienced players to avoid if they are xp farming.

Sooner committed the better.

Meflin
Hater Of email lists