[crossfire] GTK-V2 and the gtk-v2.glade problem

Kevin Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Fri Apr 23 18:40:36 CDT 2010

The GTK-V2 client gets a bad rap because the default sizing has been removed
from the layout.  People who start up the client think it is not working
because it is all jumbled, etc.  I think either the change should be reverted,
or a different, more first-timer friendly layout made the default.

I understand that the defaults were removed to prevent issues with making
the layout smaller than default, but IMO this is the wrong way to fix it.
People are trying to play on gtk-v1 which doesn't work anymore on new
servers.  This is not going to go well for getting new players.  It puts
people off right at the start when they can't make heads or tails of what
to do.  It should not be a first-time players job to have to unjumble a
display.  It should come up right, and the complexity of adjusting display
hassle should be deferred until after they see they love the game.

With the release coming up, I think that this is a non-trivial issue, and
suggest that gtk-v2.glade be fixed to be more friendly, or replaced as
the default.

Kevin Bulgrien