[crossfire] NPC respawning

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Jan 9 09:20:13 CST 2010

> > I assume this would apply also to stores where the merchant is
> > represented by a NPC inside the store (for example in Pupland)?
>
>   I would think so.

Actually I haven't thought of that. Or at least killing the merchant wouldn't
close the shop.

>   Some mechanism to relocate players, etc, would probably be needed.  But
> this is a complicated situation - for some of the reasons you mention.  But
> also some taverns/shops/whatnot also have dungeons beneath them - it
> wouldn't be too uncommon for someone to be in those dungeons with their
> exit (to the tavern) now closed.
>
>   In retrospect, closing the building probably isn't a good idea, as it
> could also be used as a DOS attack by players, eg, player goes in, kills
> some NPC's, gets kicked out of the building, when it reopens, he
> repeats,and effectively the building is never usable by anyone.

So what? One can already do a DOS on maps anyway :)
And anyway I don't plan on letting NPCs be killed without bad consequences for
the player!

> > Apropos, have we been thinking of general solutions to situations like
> > this, even spells like word of recall (which not all players have) can be
> > unusable in no spells areas? For example, I've once become stuck inside
> > the Devourers' temple cellar, when I mistakenly re-flipped the door
> > opening lever and ran through the closing door into the vampire hideout.
> > Yes, I can see how having a lever also on the inside would mean the
> > curious vampires would sooner than later use it, but it was a bit of a
> > bummer being stuck in there with vampires on the outside (so I could not
> > just create a new character to open the door), and nobody else on the
> > game to give me a hand...
>
>   There are probably many areas where players can become stuck.  Some are
> intentional, most are probably bugs.

All should be fixed, IMO - players shouldn't be trapped.
Exception would be maps specifically and explicitely for many players, where
doors depend on other players triggering some things. And still you should be
able to get out if needed.

>   It probably wouldn't be too hard to add some ingame command to do that -
> something like 'returnhome' (better name needed).  Put a 60 second (or
> something) timer on it, so you can't use it to immediately get out of
> combat/death.  One could also make it so you can't do any
> movement/combat/spellcasting during that sixty seconds either - otherwise
> the returnhome is cancelled.  In that way, you can't use it to prepare for
> combat/something dangerous.

Overkill, IMO.

>   However, in most cases, buggy maps should be identified and fixed - put a
> lever on both sides of the door.  In that vampire example, the vampires
> could be modified so they don't activate the levers - IIRC, one of the
> flags controls that, and it could just be cleared.

Put a lever behind a destructible wall, put a "emergency door opening" sign,
and open the door when lever is pulled - and don't forget to teleport/create
monsters too, to make the player pay the emergency price :)

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.org [Mon p'tit coin du web]