[crossfire] Revision: 13336 has broken CFDialog

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jun 7 00:10:49 CDT 2010

On 06/ 6/10 01:46 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>> I guess there is a lesson here... that to really test, one needs to be sure
>> to run the server in a console, or at least redirect stderr somewhere...
>
> The other lesson being to be sure to use statements compatible with all Python
> versions  the server can use :)

  This is true with all libraries one might use (for example for client, gtk
could add some new functions to the library).  But I suspect this is bigger
issue for interpreted plugin languages, as the syntax can change or get extended.

> I'm not even sure there is a complete list, automake files require 2.4 minimum
> and seem to accept 3.x.

  Looks like the server looks for 2.4->2.6, and 3.0->3.1 (macros/cfpython.m4)

  This is the actual search order:
,2.6,2.5,2.4,3.0,3.1

  So it will use python 2 before python 3 is available, but I imagine that as
time passes, more and more new distributions will only have python 3 by default.

  Unclear why 3.0 is used before 3.1 - I'd just think that 3.1 is probably more
stable/has more bugs worked out than 3.0, but I could be wrong in that.