[crossfire] Release?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Mar 3 02:04:10 CST 2010

On 03/ 1/10 05:32 PM, Alex Schultz wrote:
> I haven't been very active with things these days, but I'd be in
> agreement with a release being made. My one reservation is that of
> those options, I wouldn't want it numbered 2.0 since I don't think
> enough has happened to justify that yet.

  Making a release seems like a good idea.  I'm not quite sure what to call it.

  The previous releases were 1.x.y, and x had got up to 11 (1.11.0)

  So 1.5, or even 1.9, don't really work as numbers, since they would be very
confusing with the 1.5.0 or 1.9.0 release

  I'm not sure if anything too much should be read into version numbers.  Some
projects cycle through major numbers without it being any big deal, others treat
it as a very serious manner and have criteria for increase in major version.

  We could just jump to 1.20.0, to sort of note that this is a bit different
than the branch, but still largely compatible with it.  I'd sort of like to
reserve the major release numbers (2.0, 3.0, etc) to note when compatibility
really just breaks - eg, moving to 2.0 means you really can't move forward any
1.x files, 3.x means you really can't use any of the files from 2.x, etc (files
in this context is meaning existing characters, apartments, etc)

  But even then, exactly how that breaks is somewhat open - if all skills are
renamed as an example, the files would still be compatible, but the characters
not really playable as all their skills are gone.  This is different than a case
where the file format actually changes in an incompatible manner.