[crossfire] new character creation

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat May 1 09:40:57 CDT 2010

Hello.

>   Now that 1.50 is released, I plan to start work on the new character
>  creation method.
>
>   This new method puts the creation in-client.  This has several advantages
>  - better interface for the end user, removes a lot of code from the
>  server, and also moves some of the current character information from maps
>  into archetypes.

Yes, will clean many hacks, and remove some needs for queries.

> To do this, the client will request following information:
> stat points to spend
> race information (description, stat adjustments)
> class information (" ")
> starting map choices (description of those choices).
>
>   Note that while there is currently race information in the archetypes (so
> other than perhaps some better descriptions), there is no class or map
> information in the archetypes - that would have to get added, but using the
> hallofselection provides a template for that.

Actually, the classes are there through the archetypes with "CLASS" type.

> The client will then present the user with this information - I see a
>  pulldown in one area for race, another pulldown for class, and a table for
>  the status where player can increase/decrease them, and also see what
>  adjustments the race/class is doing.

Picture-list for races, nicer :)
For class, some description will be needed.

>   After player makes there choices, the client sends this information (stat
> distribution, race choice, class choice, etc) to server, which then
>  validates it is correct, and if so, play starts.

Seems ok.

>   One nice side effect of all of this is that classes will not be
>  archetypes, so can be recorded in the player structure - right now, class
>  information is basically lost.

Or it could be added to the player's inventory.

>   Am I missing anything?  should we also present choice of god to the
>  player?

I would say no for god information, since converting to gods could be quests.
Some gods have "hidden" altars, so letting select from the start isn't a good
idea, IMHO.

>   Related to this, should some of the classes/races get pruned down?

Well, before doing that, I would say we should define what kind of gameplays we
want.
Can a player reach the maximum level in all skills? Or do you need to
specialize? Can you learn all skills?

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org