[crossfire] Class change summary & ideas

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue May 11 01:17:58 CDT 2010

  The discussion on the previous thread has died out, so I thought I'd draw some
conclusions and move the discussion forward.  While not a lot of responses,
the most votes seemed to come in on the idea of classes play an important roll -
there are exclusive skills, a fighter can never be as good as a wizard as a
straight wizard, etc.

  From a game perspective, this probably isn't a bad stepping point - it moves
away from the current system some, but is not as radical.  And as I think about
it, a system with strict classes could basically start with this, and then just
remove any ability (skill scrolls, quests, whatever) which grant skills in the
game (different discussion, but it would perhaps be interesting to have
conditional treasure lists based on settings in the game file).

These are some ideas I have on making classes important, but still have ability
to learn most skills in the game.  Note that I do not mean to suggest that all
these ideas be adopted - rather I'm putting some ideas I have out there that
could make this happen and am seeking thoughts of others, as well as other ideas.

- The characters starting skills have a good exp gain ratio (100%), and any
learned skills have less good ratio (maybe 50%).  In this way, a fighter which
learns wizardry is at a pretty big disadvantage.

- Put level caps on learned skills.  Maybe level 50.  For this to have much
effect, skills must have meaning at all levels - for example, right now, the
highest spell level is around 20, so if you could still get to level 50, you
would have all spells.  So putting caps in would presume that skills gain
abilities up to level 100 (I have more ideas on this below)

- Put level caps on learned skills based on starting skill.  Eg, the skill level
that fighter has in wizardry can not exceed one half the level they have in
their best combat skill.

- Add more abilities for all skills to higher levels.  For spell casting skills,
this may be spells at higher levels.  For combat skills, it may mean certain
special actions happen at higher levels (stun opponent, disarm, etc).  Some of
these could give stat bonuses - they would clearly give bonuses in the relevant
stats (so combat skills would raise str, con, magic skills pow, int).  Imagine
for example a level 75 fighter getting +3 str and con from his combat skills -
that is a pretty nice buff that makes it harder for mages to do as good.

- Change sp/grace/hp starting values.  Right now, all classes start with same
values, except for any adjustments based on stats.  But maybe barbarians should
get +20 hp at start and -20 sp, reverse for wizards.  This makes it more
difficult to switch classes at low levels.

- Change hp gain values.  Right now, hp gain is based on total level - this
means a high level wizard has just as many hp (given same con) as a fighter.  At
one point an experiment was done where hp was based on highest combat level
(just as sp is based on highest mana level) - that made things too difficult,
since wizards wouldn't have a high combat level.  But one could do something
like every combat level counts as a level for hp, but every 2 spellcasting
levels counts as level for hp.  Thus, a pure mage will will have fewer hp (otoh,
as I type this, this doesn't seem like a great idea, as it now gives more reason
for the mage to pick up combat levels)

- Clean up/redo weapon skills.  Right now, all classes start with the same
weapon skills, so that wizard can pick up that 2 handed sword at first level and
become a fighter.  Wizards (and other classes) should get some lesser weapon
skill that gives them fewer weapons they can use.  Even classes like clerics get
all weapons.  A problem this creates is that spellcasting classes are good
choices at first level (you get spellcasting skill + weapon skill).  Changes I
made a while ago allows a list of skills to be used, so one could add a bunch of
different weapon skills (axe, hammer, sword, simple weapons) to limit the
weapons some classes can use at first level without adding a bunch of new
weapons to cover this.  Another example here could be elves, which right now get
missile weapons (every missile weapon) where as they should perhaps be limited
to just bows.

- Related to above, coming up with a description of each class and then figuring
bonuses/skills may be in order - a lot of skills right now are given out for
legacy reasons (everyone used to be able to do this, so everyone can do it now).
  An example of this would be barbarian - a savage non magic using class.  As
such, it probably should not start with use magical items skill - coming up with
concepts for the classes and then balancing them may result in more interesting
classes than trying to come up with a balanced class and saying "that's good",
but doesn't have any real flavor.

- For class/races, it would be nicer to have a list of skills which are
disallowed than hard code values.  For example, for classes not allowed to use
weapons, it would be better to just disallow them from ever learning the skill
than have arbitrary values.  Related to this, maybe add skills to wear armor.
Eg, everyone might start with a skill that lets them wear robes, but you need
real combat skills to wear plate armor.

  Think that just about covers it.