[crossfire] Attributes/Stats

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Fri May 14 11:41:06 CDT 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010 22:51:55 -0700
Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:

>   Exactly how potion improvement works is a bit different
> discussion.  One thought is a characters first 10 potions are sure to
> work, and potions after that have some reduced chance (maybe -10% for
> each potion, so potion 11 is 90%, potion 12 is 80%, etc, to a minimum
> chance of 20%).  These numbers could be adjusted for what is
> considered appropriate (number of potions sure to work, reduction in
> probability, etc).

Currently, improvement potions are useless once a given number have
been used and level array has been met.

One suggestion for how to handle improvement potions which wouldn't have
that issue, is as follows:

Firstly, don't roll primary stat improvements, simply generate them to
always be the same, (so something like gain
(Con/4) HP/level,
(Pow/7)+(Int/7) SP/Level,
(Wis/7)+(Pow/7) Grace/Level
With plus 1 when remainder < level% (4 or 7 as appropriate))

Those figures may well need adjusting depending on how many stat points
are available in practice, and it may be worth defining a starting
bonus, so level 1 characters aren't extremely weak.

I am thinking of two effects:

Firstly, there are the h/s/g points that the player has, and the
points they would have if their stats had been high all along

- So for example, If I play a level 1 character with 6 Con, reach level
10, then boost up to 14 con, I would have 20 less HP than if I had
started with 15 con.

Improvement potions could then rectify the gap there, so boosting the
primary stats as though the gain were retrospective. - This would mean
that any time a player gained a stat, they would want improvement
potions. At high levels, (say when a player is level 80-odd
and gained a stat), they would want /lots/ of improvement potions.

Secondly, at every level up, have a bonus 1 HP/SP/Grace that could
be gained, store this as 'potential Max HP/SP/Grace' (probably as an
extra living struct on the player) and then when an improvement potion
is used, have a chance (based on how much potential has already been
granted) to transfer 1 point of potential Max HP/SP/Grace into 'real'
Max HP/SP/Grace. (use the current potential 'current' HP/SP/Grace
figures to store the amount that was transferred)).

This removes the need for the level array tracking and gives pretty
well defined results for characters, there is never any need for luck
in character development, and boosting Con later rather than
earlier is not much worse in the long term (other than affecting how
many improvement potions are needed).

Brendan.