[crossfire] CRE (no luck building successfully)

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun May 16 02:33:14 CDT 2010

Hello.

> I had some trouble with the README instructions to just qmake && make as
> I have a KDE 3 system.   The project will not build with Qt 3, so I added
> that pithy detail to the README.

Indeed, I should have mentioned that earlier, sorry.

> After getting Qt 4, the project builds, but get:
>
> $ ./cre
> Aborted
> $
>
> If I run it out of GDB, the back trace is:
<snipped>

The precise section is:

                    LOG(llevError, "Initial map %s can't be found! Please
ensure maps are correctly installed.\n", first_map_path);
                    LOG(llevError, "Unable to continue without initial map.
\n");
                    abort();

So there is an issue with the installation or the build :)

To correctly use CRE, you need to build it from a correctly ./configure'd and
installed Crossfire server source, with the correct --prefix line, the same as
used for installation.
As a quick check, if you can run the server built from those sources, it
should be ok.

CRE uses the same installed files than the server itself.

Note that at first run it will ask for a cache directory that you must choose
to be able to use it, then it will parse the maps to collect archetype use,
exits relationships and various information.
Parsing is done in the background, and you can close the application during
that - though it may lag a few seconds while saving data collected up to this
point.

Hope this helps.

Nicolas
--